Dear Molly,
I really like the name of your blog, Maple Tree Warrior. It’s fierce and peaceful at the same time. How sad that the tree you loved is physically gone. But you are carrying it forward in your heart!
Your Lyme disease has subtle ties to nature. A bad part is that it’s a symptom of changes in our world caused by global warming. As you know, with warmer winters bacteria are surviving in greater numbers than ever. Lyme disease has existed for a long time, but now it is causing real havoc to lives like never before.
Another negative tie to nature is that Lyme often causes extreme environmental sensitivities, as you know only too well. Some of your indications of trouble were, early on, severe reactions to paint, outgassing from gym mats, and more recently everything from pesticide and skin products to purportedly harmless building materials... An ongoing saga.
Some of that has brought you temporarily from your cozy house that you put so much thought, work and love into, to our house. We love having you here, but we know that it’s more difficult for you to negotiate with the tough Saltillo tile floors and highway noise in the distance. And it’s hard for you not being in close email contact with your friends and family. A good thing, though, is the hilarity we share at mealtimes on your good days, and the monk-like silent communion on your not-so-good days. Also, as I write this on the 4th of July, we seldom hear fireworks here, in contrast to your own kid-friendly neighborhood.
Another good thing about your being at our house is that it has started the three of us driving New Mexico backroads and helping you to reconnect with the countryside, using your camera as well as (as much as possible) your senses. Sadly, with the sound and light sensitivities you’ve developed, you need your ear plugs, noise-cancelling headphones and two pairs of reflective sunglasses. It’s hard to see you have to buffer yourself from the outdoors you have so long loved–bird songs, the sound of wind and rain, much less thunderstorms. And for you not to be able to enter the wilderness in the same way, except by digging your feet into the earth when we drive up the hill to watch the sunset.
But driving we’ve enjoyed geological formations and striations; the spectacular and unlikely flourishing of cactus flowers thanks to this unusually moist season; the farmer whose wife’s family has lived in the town of Stanley for 100 years showing us the mysterious old farm tools they lovingly preserved by arranging on weathered boards, and describing the lost sense of community since the old Stanley store closed. Then there is the little church whose touching cemetery holds timeless stone crosses, each a distinctive and compelling shape; the achingly fresh and lovingly tended descanso (roadside memorial) near our house for four teenagers killed by a drunk driver; and the hidden pond with the majestic, venerable oaks and cottonwoods drinking from it.
Trees-- I loved Deborah Post’s comment posted on your blog, with the Tagore poem about trees’ relationship to the earth and sky; and the “rowandell” email address your imaginative cousin Pym used to have, referring to those lacy trees and the Elves’ home in Tolkien’s Middle Earth. We had a rowan tree at our place in upstate New York, too, although we called it by its other name, mountain ash. The Ents from Tolkien have worked their way into our drawings and vocabulary as allies as well.
I’ve told you about the mimosa tree in my grandmother’s yard in Oklahoma City when I was growing up. It was my magical playhouse, shelter and throne, graced with delicate pink blossoms–my “powder puff” tree. {drawing?}
Pop and I want to wish you strength from all such trees,
Worlds of love, Mom
Thank you, Mom, for this lovely entry.
It has been a great comfort to be at your house, though hard to have my own sanctuary toxic. But we have had some fun and a lot of laughs! (Not that there haven’t been tense moments too, of course. How could there not? We have grown from those too.) I have enjoyed our evening sits outside, including my first sighting of the Milky Way in longer than I care to contemplate, complete with shooting star. There have also been some family firsts, for instance the breakdown of the decades-long taboo against the use of foul language in front of one another. My father was the last to fall. My first instinct was to immediately call my sister, “Can you believe it? Papa said, ‘#*!&xs!!’”??
Another new activity has arisen from my taking to the writing of haikus (brevity having a sudden new allure, since writing is more difficult). Sometimes we compose haikus together, one person thinking up the first phrase, and all of us coming up with the second and comparing our creations.
And then there’s sitting together in meditation. Who would have thunk. All in all, we have gotten to know each other a lot more.
Thank you for writing about trees, Mom. It’s so soothing just to talk about them. They have also been a major subject of my picture taking, thanks to you and Pop driving me around. Since I can’t leave the passenger seat, we call Pop the “dolly driver,” as I issue commands to go forward or back a few feet, and Mom the technical adviser, since she is a photographer in her own right and can read the camera manual, which I cannot.
I thought of a couple of things to add about trees. I thought of a healer who once advised me during a time of stress to go into nature, commenting, “I’ve never met a tree that agreed with my neurosis.” How true!
I also thought of how many “pests” are the result of ecosystems out of balance. They have their place in a functioning ecosystem but something tips the balance and they take over. Another example of this, and devastating to all of us here in Northern New Mexico, is the decimation of the pinon trees a few years ago. Our dear tree man, Rich (who was heart-breakingly downcast during that period, despite all the business it gave him cutting down dead trees), was at my house a few weeks ago looking at my own struggling pinons, and discussing how to rid them of needle scale. He commented that he made peace with all his “pest”-killing by thinking of it as helping them end their bad karma, so they might come back as higher life forms, or, in his words, as “progressives.”
I have thought of that often with regard to all the spirocide I have been doing. That is perhaps a good segue to a little medical update, which I will mostly let you (Mom) take over. I will say this though: The cure is worse than the disease! Those spiros release nasty neurotoxins during their death throes–whoa! It has been nothing short of hellish. Maybe one day I’ll get really honest about the experience. So far I’m sorry to say the results have been subtle if any.
Since Mom and I started this entry, a lot of uncertain things have happened medically. My neurological symptoms have worsened considerably, and my treatment team is in disagreement about what to do. It’s scary to have one practitioner tell you you’re in danger if you don’t take a particular substance today and another tell you you’re endangering yourself if you do, and to really feel like you don’t have the where-with-all to decide.
Now I am truly thankful to be at Mom and Pop’s house, as I really require a monopoly of their time and attention and support right now. I struggle a lot with guilt about this, as they will testify.
I’ll let Mom take over from here and say more, but first I want to express my regret at not being able to go on and on with tributes to those who have devoted enormous heart and effort to helping me in extraordinary ways. I hope to get to this as soon as possible. I’ll just say for now it’s a wondrous display to watch the various ways that creation (human beings) express(es) love, each a different flavor of gift. I am grateful for it all, and look forward to observing that beautiful display from another standpoint and even more so as a fuller participant.
Love to you all,
Molly
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Molly, upon further experimentation and even a little paying more attention to the instructions on the blog page, I figured out what I was doing wrong when I tried to attach a comment. I re-read your entry and your mother's. I looked at your pictures in your album on Face Book. They only heighten my sense of the unfairness of life and I am having a hard time reconcilling the old adage that "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger". Bullshit! With that remark, I did read with some humor about the broken taboo of never uttering a curse word in front of family. That is one taboo we have never had. My earliest recollection was when my sister was about 12 and she dropped a very vociferous F Bomb. She was immediately questioned about where she heard that word. Ronnie, was the reply. Well, I am sure she overheard a private conversation, if not totallly fabricating that story. Mandy works with a rather distinguished former US Attorney who joined her firm about 2 years ago. She regales us with how he will drop the same bomb in conversations that are very technically legal and being the lady Mandy is, she only slightly titters at his explosions. She was telling us how "creatively he uses the phrase" and Susan asked if he was more creative than she is. Mandy said, well no... Your great grandmother Caroline on occasion would become frustrated and utter "dapligfor" which was code for her most explitive outburst. The woman was a true southern belle.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of my grandmother, I will share a Maxfield Lore item. Once your great grandfather, TS Maxfield, wanted to ride a motor cycle. He borrowed on from a friend downtown and rode it to the house of 17th street. He rode by and waved to Gram and then went around the block. He rode around again and yelled something as he went by. Again he came around and yelled something. The fourth time around, Gram went to the street to hear him say, I don't know how to stop this damn thing. She called the store and found the guy who owned the bike and got the instructions, went to the curb and waited until he rounded the corner. She shouted the instructions how to stop and got my granddad off the bike. No Hell's Angel there....
I can't swear that story is exactly how it happened, but it has always made a funny picture for me.
Well summer is trying to wind down here, school has started again and I thought I would miss it. Not true. I am glad I don't have to get up and go any more. Next Saturday is the County Fair. Mandy is entering in the baking division. She is the daughter of a farm girl after all and along with her aspirations of being a judge, she wants to win for snickerdoodles in the State Fair of Oklahoma. We of course will attend with her just like all those academic contests she entered starting in middle school.
What parents won't do for their kids. Oh yea, you know about that.... I know you appreciate the tremendous power of family love. On that note, I will sign off and stop this ramble. I hope you have a good day, the day after you read this, Love to you and your family, keeping looking at the moon and I'll see you in the funny papers 30
Dearest Molly,
ReplyDeleteAfter recently speaking to Marilyn and reading your blog update, I am saddened to hear your situation hasn’t improved.
I was getting the feel of Farmington, for future job prospects, and did not depart in time to make Santa Fe at a decent hour. Consequently, I made a loop through Ft. Defiance and White Horse, until finally getting stopped by a thunderstorm in White Rock. The next morning I rode to Santa Fe in the rain, and waved at you as I cruised out of town on the Las Vegas Highway. I’ve never been to Santa Fe without seeing you, and hope the next time will be different.
I even had the opportunity to go through Chickasha, on my way to a friend’s function in Anadarko. Chickasha is larger than I imagined!
Another school year has begun and, although four problem-solving courses are going to be a challenge, I like the schedule and it is nice to finally be into the core curriculum. Only two years left!
That story was funny, way to go Fanklin! The idealists are always the last to fall. Unfortunately I’m not so polite, and in my occupation the use creative verbs are commonplace. Molly has only had a couple slips in my presence, and it never fails to grab my attention. It’s a notable accomplishment to raise politely spoken family.
Being a vintage motorcycle fan, I love Ron’s recollections of Molly’s great grandfathers motorcycle ride. My early riding stopping method was to crash, but I’ve since improved my technique. Really Molly I have (well, except for that freshly graveled road in Benkelman NE) – let’s go for a ride!
Well Molly, I miss our communications, and Santa Fe isn’t the same without your company. Take care babe……
Molly, a couple of other TS Maxfield stories came to mind as I was reading the anonymous post. Right around 1909 or 1910, TS gave a baby cap to a family who were purchasing supplies for their store in Pott. county. TS convinced the county store owner to buy some revolutionary, new, ready made underwear. The store owner said he would take one in each size. When they got their order on the train in a few days, the store owner called and said there had been a mistake and there were 10 in each size. TS reportedly said, well if they don't sell in 2 weeks, send them back. They not only sold, but the store owner reordered in 2 weeks. That store owner was Henry Grundmann, Susan's grandfather and the baby was Susan's aunt Marie who helped raise Susan. I never met Nampa, but I did met Susan's grandmother and Marie lived with Susan's mother for 60 years until her death a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteAs for 1910, I have not been able to substantiate this story, but my grandmother swore it was true: One night my grandfather left late in the evening for a "business trip". That same evening the Oklahoma State Seal was "stolen" from Guthrie, where the State Capitol was going to be and moved to Oklahoma City, the new state capitol. These vigilantes were fearful that the Guthrie folks would hide the seal, as they were not happy about the move. Those Guthrie folks are still hacked off to this day...
Well Susan and I are building fence down on the farm where she grew up. We set 2 gates today and next week I will be stringing about 500 feet of wire fence. Green Acres is the place for me....
As far as your dad's fall from the stilted grammar of a New York lawyer, it will be a lot worse if the Sooners don't get er' done this season. Love from Oklahoma.
Back to the Moon
ReplyDeleteThe brilliant golden disk hung middlin' low on the horizon, only competing with a bright, lone star in the southeastern sky. The Man in the Moon winked as he surveyed a deep azure sky, a preview of a Hunter's Moon to appear in October, perhaps.
A gaggle of wispy white clouds conspired to "shade" the lovely light from its earthly gazers, only to be outwitted by the steadily whitening orb, on its way to the zenith of the night vigil.
The light bidding sweet dreams to those taking one last look before turning in, or a beacon to those on the night shift.
The best job of course was providing inspiration to amateur poets and of course those lovers taking time to look up and gaze on the timeless celestial sonata.
I saw the moon and the moon saw me, good night stars, good night clouds, good night dreamer's dreams, good night moon, good night Molly. Sleep well dear girl. 30
When this came, I was overwhelmed with grief for Molly's suffering. We continue to pray for her and for all of you.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad the Maple-Tree warrior page is back up. I had used the bookmark when the page came up 404.
We are packing to go to NH by way of Syracuse and visit with Ginny Lee. It has been a year since we last saw her and Dick (we had planned to go in Jan, but everyone was sick, esp Gardner who had both Jamie's stomach flu and Richard's respiratory flu!!!!
Our precious Mimosa died in the mid nineties the year that our winter had been 22 below for several days and it was over a week before we saw 0°F. Our beloved Maple tree (at least 60 yrs old) died while we were in OR and our non bearing almond bush died last year. BUT, something very strange happened this year: We returned home in June to find a VOLUNTEER Mimosa tree near where the flowering almond had been!!!!!!
I take it as a sign of your health improving, albeit slowly."
I was intrigued by your mother's recollection of the mimosa tree on 17th street. We had one on Dorchester Drive when I was a kid. It was kind of a runt and my mother heard growth could be stimulated by a jolt to the tree. She hit it with our 58 Dodge and knocked a piece of the bumper off. The tree remained small, happy with its dimutive frame, while our neighbor's mimosa grew to 40 feet tall. My mother planted a pin oak to hide it from view.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you discovered the summer sky. I can't see it well in OKC due to light pollution, but in Wyoming, WOW! what brilliance. As for the moon, well you know what I think of that. Well keeping looking up, I love you and will see you in the funny papers. RM
The most graceful of my maple trees, the one that stands alone on the way to the vegetable garden, has been named by me "The Molly Tree," and I never pass it without stopping to think of Molly and wish well for her. That will be my form of meditation from now on and, whatever the discipline I was able to press onto a chaotic life when I was doing the chanting, the tree strategy will be more frequent, and, for me, more natural. Molly, I want so desparately for you to grow stronger and feel less stress and pain. All who write to me about you, mention your courage and the almost miraculous way you have kept your spirits and your hope high. I so admire you. I always had the bittersweet feeling that within my lifetime the Alzheimers that took the last years of John's life away from him would be curable. Now, I hope even harder that Lyme is somehow conquered and soon. You have given so much to other people that it seems singularly unfair that you should suffer. Maybe I need your Stoicism and mysticism to understand and to bear it. I'm also glad the three of you are now together under one roof. I know you had loyal friends and neighbors, Molly, but there's nothing like caring parents at any time of one's life.
ReplyDelete