COUGAR
For decades we tracked each other,
allies, prayer-mates and honored opponents.
We each had paid our respects to the other in a variety of ways.
I won't share how this secret relationship began.
There were dreams you took me on Technicolor adventures.
In others were you were a calm strong companion by my side.
And in some you roared at me.
I would awaken with a fright.
allies, prayer-mates and honored opponents.
We each had paid our respects to the other in a variety of ways.
I won't share how this secret relationship began.
There were dreams you took me on Technicolor adventures.
In others were you were a calm strong companion by my side.
And in some you roared at me.
I would awaken with a fright.
Then we met at the top of a mountain pass at 4 AM,
you hissing threateningly, eyes glowing red in the dimness.
That time you introduced me to my primal animal nature.
I grew large, bared my teeth and displayed my fingernails turned into claws.
I heard my own fierce growl – a new emanation from my throat –
echo off the valleys on both sides.
Every cell in my slender body believed without doubt
that I could and would rip you to shreds should you attack.
You backed down from our face-off.
Thank you for bringing out my killer instinct,
the proper use of my own sword.
you hissing threateningly, eyes glowing red in the dimness.
That time you introduced me to my primal animal nature.
I grew large, bared my teeth and displayed my fingernails turned into claws.
I heard my own fierce growl – a new emanation from my throat –
echo off the valleys on both sides.
Every cell in my slender body believed without doubt
that I could and would rip you to shreds should you attack.
You backed down from our face-off.
Thank you for bringing out my killer instinct,
the proper use of my own sword.
But now, cougar, I have a new kind of predator;
they have taken up residence within the body that faced down yours.
Micro-organisms are tricky adversaries.
They have been wrestling with me for my now-mangled sword.
I have not been able to wield it successfully.
Infiltrating my being,
they have even confused me as to who I am.
loved ones are sustaining injuries in the battle.
These microscopic attackers aren't like you,
they torture me in a long drawn-out process.
When you confronted me,
there was a simplicity about it. No animosity.
an age-old agreement between species.
I knew you were defending your young, or hungry.
I defended myself.
The way of this world.
they have taken up residence within the body that faced down yours.
Micro-organisms are tricky adversaries.
They have been wrestling with me for my now-mangled sword.
I have not been able to wield it successfully.
Infiltrating my being,
they have even confused me as to who I am.
loved ones are sustaining injuries in the battle.
These microscopic attackers aren't like you,
they torture me in a long drawn-out process.
When you confronted me,
there was a simplicity about it. No animosity.
an age-old agreement between species.
I knew you were defending your young, or hungry.
I defended myself.
The way of this world.
But what motivates these tiny beings?
They won't face me squarely.
Their insidious methods are cruel.
Perhaps they are a bit lost and confused, like humans can be?
But I sense no interspecies connection, here.
They won't face me squarely.
Their insidious methods are cruel.
Perhaps they are a bit lost and confused, like humans can be?
But I sense no interspecies connection, here.
Is there anything you can teach me now, my cougar mate?
Any of your relaxed strength you can transmit to me?
I am in great need.
Or do I need a new teacher now?
I saw a slow-motion film once
of you beating out your prey in the chase.
That rabbit knew when its time was up.
It turned belly up at the last moment,
offering itself to you, to the intrinsic order of things.
What beauty in that!
Has that time arrived for me?
Is it a rabbit teacher I need now?
If so, I'd like to surrender with such grace.
Then, will we all lie down together,
lion, lamb, rabbit and pathogens?
I always vaguely thought that sounded nice.
Now I'm not so sure.
And I still resist.
Any of your relaxed strength you can transmit to me?
I am in great need.
Or do I need a new teacher now?
I saw a slow-motion film once
of you beating out your prey in the chase.
That rabbit knew when its time was up.
It turned belly up at the last moment,
offering itself to you, to the intrinsic order of things.
What beauty in that!
Has that time arrived for me?
Is it a rabbit teacher I need now?
If so, I'd like to surrender with such grace.
Then, will we all lie down together,
lion, lamb, rabbit and pathogens?
I always vaguely thought that sounded nice.
Now I'm not so sure.
And I still resist.
--Molly Hunt, August 2013
I hope people will express their thoughts about Molly's poems! Note that you need to click on "Post a comment," not on the envelope symbol, which is used for sending an e-mail comment to a friend.
ReplyDeleteIf you still have trouble getting your comments on the blog, please send them to me and I'll put them up.
Marilyn (mother), hunt.mm@gmail.com
Hey Babe,
ReplyDeleteI'm not poetic by nature, but nonetheless the poems bring a smile to my face, and a few tears to my eyes! Perhaps because they are your words or maybe they just remind me of something. A mental image of you visiting with the resident horse at Casita de Gila - I stood in the doorway watching you thinking how pretty you looked that morning, so I got my camera and sneaked a photo. Your adventure story of the late night encounter with a cougar. It could just be that I miss you so very much. Likely it is all of these things that prompted me to write this note. If this is the measure of good poetry, then Molly's poems are a success.
Love ya,
Oh my, that is extraordinary. It is a beautiful poem.
ReplyDeleteSending love,
Charlotte
Dear Molly,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing such gifts ~ this seeing that flows through you.
My heart is with you always and i am grateful for who you are ~
love and blessings,
shira
Yes, do resist. I'm loving your poetry -- it's showing both strength and vulnerability. I hope it is bringing you some light. Much love...
ReplyDeleteMolly, your beautiful language and the story that flows through your poems Cougar and Donkey lead me to a very meaningful place. It is hard to describe how they make me feel but I have taken so much from them and they help me greatly. Thank you, sending love and hugs always. Emily Anne
ReplyDeleteMolly,
ReplyDeleteI have not a poem but a prayer, it is a prayer I pray everyday for you and your family
May you be surrounded by love, light, well-being, peace and grace. May all of you feel Amma's warm embrace with you at every moment in this healing journey.
Love,
Catherine A.
Molly,
ReplyDeleteYour poems are amazing. Wow. Thank you for sharing them.
Love and more love to you,
Lia
molly, this is absolutely amazing. it is amazing in and of itself, it
ReplyDeleteis amazing because you have managed to give birth to it under
circumstances of incredible adversity, it is amazing because of the
powerful images, the first dramatic encounter you set up and the
completely unexpected segue and parallel with the battle against the
micro-organisms. the fact that you have managed to write this is a
great victory. you are amazing. i love you, thank you.
HI Molly,
ReplyDeleteRabbits can have tularemia, a tick borne disease. Knowing that brings the poem closer to me, being that I also have intimate relations with tick germs.
How do we face what faces us? Cougars and rabbits. I, too, look to nature. Thank you for your flowing insight. It's gorgeous.
I love this poem and the other ones you sent. I love them all.
They're polished and wonderful. I've got 6 copied to my computer, ready tor printing on the newsletter, with one this month. About one for the next 6 months.
And I Hope to get your page started on the website soon. What kinds of photos would you want on your page? For one, a rabbit?!!!! Cougar?
Or something else? Maybe something respective of your view ... the scenery out your eyes? They're free photos at wikimedia and print well. Just let me know the subjects for this and the other poems you sent and I can email to see which you like. I can print a whole bunch of photos if you like.
And what would you like to call your page, Molly?
I love how the cougar brought out your own killer instinct and how you were thankful for that. I have been so sick that I am no longer afraid to encounter cougars. I chased one off once. I felt not a shred of fear. I thought "what a way to go!" But it was afraid of me and leap away up a mountain. Lizzie
ReplyDelete