Thursday, September 29, 2011

A favorite poem of Molly's

This reflects something of my longing. It expresses something I'm not able to finds my own words for right now. There's so much I wish could be said and shared with all of you.
Love always, Molly
LAKE AND MAPLE
by Jane Hirshfield

I want to give myself
utterly
as this maple
that burned and burned
for three days without stinting
and then in two more dropped off every leaf;
as this lake that,
no matter what comes
to its green-blue depths,
both takes and returns it.
In the still heart,
that refuses nothing,
the world is twice-born–
two earths wheeling,
two heavens,
two egrets reaching down into subtraction;
even the fish
for an instant double,
before it is gone.
I want the fish.
I want the losing it all
when it rains and I want
the returning transparence.
I want the place
by the edge-flowers where
the shallow sand is deceptive,
where whatever
steps in must plunge,
and I want that plunging.
I want the ones
who come in secret to drink
only in early darkness,
and I want the ones
who are swallowed.
I want the way
this water sees without eyes,
hears without ears,
shivers without will or fear
at the gentlest touch.
I want the way it
accepts the cold moonlight
and lets it pass,
the way it lets
all of it pass
without judgement or comment.
There is a lake,
Lalla Ded sang, no larger
than one seed of mustard,
that all things return to.
O heart, if you
will not, cannot, give me the lake,
then give me the song.

6 comments:

  1. Such an absolutely beautiful poem- It describes you Molly, "The losing of it all, the returning to transparence".

    Molly you are such an amazing human being. I trust wherever your journey is taking you right now- You are already Light, so how can I worry about you too much?

    I vividly remember the times I sat with you, on your couch. Utterly in Oneness, no words, no questions. Wow, your presence is so very special.

    But, I do miss you, and I really hope for your healing and that your body gets strong again.

    Love You,
    Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very touched by the poem, and feel that the images are full of meaning as only a poet can express. What a great way to communicate from your heart. It grows on you re-reading the words and seeing the images. Thank you Molly, and I wanted to add that your Kiron Return is coming close, the Design date is February 24, 2012. The Wounded Healer can heal herself, and that is what I wish you to live for.
    Thinking of you with love, Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Molly,
    I just read the most recent entries to the blog. Molly your poem is very touching and very much seems to be a reflection of you.
    When I read the blog entry below your poem I felt frightened and very concerned that you are doing so badly. The blog made
    it seem as if life was more tenuous for you than I had ever thought it might be. I was saddened by this picture of things and
    again very concerned.I am sitting with you Molly every Sunday and sending thoughts and love to you. I'm so sorry that this is proving to be such
    a difficult and painful illness to heal.

    I am very much missing you, Molly, and thinking about all that you are suffering through and my thoughts and prayers are
    with you.
    Much much love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Last Eagle

    The serenity of the two lane through the
    maple, pine and aspen is
    Plundered by the deep throated rumbligs of the
    Old Harley as it negotiates the twisting, winding path into the low hills toward the mesa.
    Two riders tresspass the domain of all things wild and send creatures and birds scurring from the alien noise.
    The rear rider, arms spread wide in simulated flight, breathes in the unadulterated air, hair flying straight back, as a vapor trail and lifts her face to the sun.
    As the thrum of the powerful engine fades away the two lane morphs to a more ancient path, known only by first citizens and thier spiritual brothers.
    The soaring eagle, released from its earlier mortal struggle and now transended from assisted flight, reviews the painful landscape of unhappier times from its windy vantage point and cocks its head toward the sun.
    It wheels in lofty dream sculptures of billowy clouds, one a tall tree, sheltering and protecting its charges. Another mirage stone statue captures the pose of an ancient warrior, prepared for a last heroic struggle.
    The eagle wheels and turns, dives and cavorts in the warm up drafts and mild currents from the hills below. She is proud, unflinching and free at last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Land masses will collide
    to make mountains and Haiku
    Our love comes to you

    Jennifer Westberg

    Note from Marilyn: I supposedly published this haiku as a comment some time ago, but since I can't find it, I'm putting it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the site of a sculptor named Sanama Musama who created a Maple Tree
    series of sculptures, I came across some information that I thought an
    interesting tie-in with Molly's choice of that tree as a symbol. The
    artist says: "These sculptures were inspired by the Maple Tree
    abolitionist movement in the late 18th century in New York and
    Holland. Dutch colonist, Native Americans and free indentured African
    servants joined together in protest against slave labor on sugar cane
    plantations in the West Indies. They took as their symbol the maple
    tree - a source of sugar without expoiting slave labor."

    ReplyDelete